Update on Derby Day 5k

As many of you are likely aware, Governor Gavin Newsom announced that California public health officials issued a policy stating non-essential gatherings over 250 people be postponed or canceled across the state until at least the end of March. Santa Anita Park has decided to extend this warning to Derby Day 5K and will be POSTPONING the event until September 26, 2020.

Our team cares deeply about this event and we’ve been working closely with Santa Anita Park on contingency plans since the beginning of this outbreak to ensure this race can take place when it is safe to do so. Our hope has always been to avoid a complete cancellation of the event.

We are passionate runners ourselves and understand the current uncertainty and desire for immediate answers. Therefore, we are offering all registered participants the following options at no additional cost:


Option 1: If you are able to participate in the rescheduled race on September 26, 2020, then there are no additional steps or actions needed from you. Your registration remains valid and your race bib will be ready and waiting! No action is needed on your part.


We are pleased to offer two additional options, at no cost, if you are unable to join us.

Option 2: Switch to the Virtual Runner: Registration for the Virtual Runner option closes on race day. Shirts and medals will be mailed beginning the week of the postponed race date. To switch your registration to the Virtual Runner,

  1. Go to: https://www.imathlete.com/events/EditReg/EditReg_EditRegistration.aspx
  2. Enter your Confirmation Code (found on the confirmation receipt)
  3. Select ‘CHANGE: change your race or registration class’
  4. Choose your new class from the drop down menu
  5. Pay any additional fees if applicable
  6. Checkout

Option 3: Defer Entry to the 2021 race scheduled for April 3, 2021: To switch your registration to the 2021 race, follow the steps outlined here and select “Defer Entry to 2021” as your registration class. You will receive a confirmation email indicating your choice to defer.


**Participants have until the night before race day to select from the options above. If no action has been taken by this date, your registration will default to the rescheduled 2020 race. Please note that per our Cancellations and Refunds Policy, we will not be issuing refunds.**

We know last-minute changes are never easy and we are grateful for your patience and understanding as our team works to make this process as painless as possible for everyone.


We wish you all good health in the coming weeks and months ahead.

Thank You To Our Fabulous Sponsors!

Management Company

Sign Up for Updates!